4 Property Hazards That Can Compromise Your Health

Having your own home comes with a lot of perks. Conversely, it can come with a myriad of health-related issues that some people are unaware of. Depending on how long they go unnoticed, you may be at risk of a life-threatening ailment.

The more you know about potential hazardous risks to your home, the better chance you have of combating them for you and your family. Here are four home hazards that can compromise your health.

1. Mold

Moisture-prone areas like your bathroom are vulnerable to mold accumulation. If you leave your doors or windows open, certain forms of mold have an easy time migrating into your home. Being around mold on a consistent basis can lead to shortness of breath and other serious respiratory issues.

Mold removal is the solution, especially if you’re experiencing severe exposure. However, attempting to remove mold by yourself is a serious health risk. It’s important to contact a professional that has the safety equipment needed to handle your problem without any risks. Companies like 1-800-BUSY-DOG mention that mold growth may not always be apparent, but should be heavily prioritized.

2. Overcrowding

While this doesn’t seem like a major problem, having too many things in your home can be a health hazard. If you hoard a lot of items in your house, you have a higher probability of experiencing accidents and issues with hygiene. Anything including the spread of bacteria can occur and it’s difficult to assess your risk. Regularly cleaning your home helps you minimize your chances of a clutter-related accident.

3. Fires

With so many house fires occurring every day, it’s always important to take the necessary precautions for your property. Small incidents like a candle tipping over can lead to the complete devastation of a home. One of the best things you can do to prevent fire damage is to install fire alarms. Having them on every floor with functioning batteries will keep everyone safe.

4. Carbon Monoxide

This undetectable gas can cause various symptoms from dizziness to death. Carbon monoxide leaks are common in older homes that have appliances like HVAC systems. Since it’s hard to detect high levels of carbon monoxide, you should have a detector in your home that will alert you in case of a leak. Older homes can also benefit from regular professional inspections.

As a property owner, it’s your responsibility to protect your home from hazards. Household neglect like failure to organize or remove hazards can lead to poor health and even death. Therefore, make sure you professionally assess risk and have fire and carbon monoxide detectors installed to ensure healthier lives for your entire household.

About the author:

Brooke Chaplan is a freelance writer and blogger. She lives and works out of her home in Los Lunas, New Mexico. She loves the outdoors and spends most of her time hiking, biking, and gardening. For more information, contact Brooke via Facebook at facebook.com/brooke.chaplan or Twitter @BrookeChaplan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.